The pesky mosquitoes are a problem for anyone who plans to spend time outdoors this summer.
Mosquitoes can be a pain. They bite and leave itchy welts, they carry diseases like West Nile Virus or Malaria not to mention how annoying they are.
You can get rid of these pesky bugs by following our simple two pronged approach.
How to Repel Mosquitoes Away When Camping
The most effective method to rid yourself of mosquitoes in tents is to stop letting them into the tent in the first place! That’s why it begins with the prevention.
We will then explain how to deter mosquitoes from your campsite, before diving into the steps to take in the event that they do get inside your tent.
Zip Tent Doors Zipped Shut
One of the most important tips to keep mosquitoes, and other bugs out if your tent is by making sure it’s sealed.
Make sure you close your tent’s doors behind when entering or exiting.
When camping with children, it is essential that you keep an eye on their behavior. To do this successfully and make sure they remember the rules every time review them periodically while camping as well.
Wear Mosquito Repellent Clothes
The protection of clothing will not repel mosquitoes from your camp site however, it can help keep them from your skin!
Keep these things in mind when deciding what you will wear to camping:
- Mosquitoes prefer dark clothing, so go to lighter shades.
- Long-sleeved t-shirts and pants are an excellent method to guard yourself against bites from mosquitoes. But if you’re concerned regarding the scorching heat search for light, breathable clothing.
- Another option that is interesting is to wear clothing that has insect repellents integrated. Insect Shield For instance, produces bug-resistant clothing that are EPA certified and approved for all members of the family. You can also send them your clothes and they’ll apply their insect repellent clothing to the clothes.
- If you’re camping in an extremely mosquito-rich region, it’s not going to harm to carry the head net.
Try To Prevent Physically Attracting Mosquitoes
Unfortunately, your genes might make you more attractive to mosquitoes. One study shows that mosquito repellents do not work for everyone and some people are just bug magnets no matter what they do.
Wearing perfumes or colognes with floral notes can increase their targets even further because these smells attract the insects as well.
When you go camping, it’s important to remember that your sweat will contain lactic acid. This means if the humidity is high enough (and especially during exercise) mosquitoes can be attracted as well. So take care when working out or engaging in physical activity showering after may help get rid of any excess syrup like substances on skin which could make them bite more easily.
It is important to avoid drinking alcohol during peak mosquito times because the reason for this isn’t exactly known, but it will most likely increase your chances of being bitten.
Make sure you have all the mosquito repellents on hand for your next camping trip. There’s something to fit any need from sprays and lotions, citronella candles or essential oils in a thermacell device there really isn’t an option that won’t work.
When you think about camping, one thing that comes to mind is the campfire. The warmth it provides and its ability as a light source for your tent makes this essential part of any outdoor adventure worth having.
A simple flame can be alluring even if there are no other people around just sitting by an open fire sounds cozy enough on its own.
The campfire is a great way to keep bugs away, especially mosquitoes. They typically hate fire and smoke which makes them want as far from your campsite as possible.
Best Ways to Get Rid Of Mosquitoes from your Tent
After you’ve successfully secured your campsite (and your tent) We can then remove any mosquitoes who got into your tent.
To eliminate mosquitoes from the tent, a few options are:
- The most basic, and expensive option is to make use of an insect swatter to eliminate any mosquitoes that make the trek to your camp.
- Invoking an Thermacell mosquito repellent device in your tent when you’re not there is a safe and hands free method to kill mosquitoes within 20 feet of the area. Read our guide on the most effective mosquito repellents to use while camping to find more effective alternatives.
- Spraying a bit of insect repellent in your tent can eliminate skeeters as well as other insects. You may need to get your gear out before spraying, if you don’t wish to spray the spray everywhere.
- In the end, you may also burn the insect coil inside your tent. Be sure that the coil is set on a safe area and is properly monitored. I suggest this method if you’re in the tent for a period of time.
Dissuading mosquitoes from invading your camp and killing any who make it into your tent will help you avoid mosquito bites during camping. This will allow you to have a great time and enjoy your camping trip without mosquitoes.